24 March 2008

The Oppressed Oppressor

For some reason, people find it incredulous that someone who has been/is being oppressed would oppress others. Apparently people believe that being a victim of oppression builds some sense of compassion.

I'm going to have to go against this logic; based on observation and reasoning.
First, I've rarely seen someone who is empathetic to a cause that they have not directly/indirectly experienced. Lesbians advocate for lesbians, Blacks advocate for blacks, Cancer survivors advocate for cancer, etc...

The oppressed seem to be self-righteous in their oppression. There's an attitude of "your suffering is insignificant and doesn't compare to what I've been through. I've Had to fight my own battles, don't expect any sympathy."

It seems that the oppressed become so wrapped up in their oppression and the effort to fight it that they fail to recognize the suffering of others. More importantly, they fail to see how they make others suffer.

No comments: