02 January 2016

Free Speech

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
-First Amendment

You, as an American, can say whatever you want without any legal ramifications.
Oops, sorry, I forgot about the FCC.
My point is, don't expect to say whatever you want without any consequences whatsoever.

I'm not talking about PC,
I'm talking common sense.
Funding for your broadcast is a privilege not a right. Say something stupid and you may lose your sponsors... bye bye broadcast.
Owning a business is a privilege not a right. Say something stupid and you may lose your customers... and your business
You have the right to say whatever you want; others have the right to protest.

on the other side. With the internet and media reaching more people and more people having a platform for their opinions
I will do myself a service and continue to chill
Others have the right to their opinions and they have access to platforms that potentially reaches billions

Doesn't mean I have to listen. I don't have to give anyone my time. No one deserves my emotions
Just because you have a platform doesn't mean your opinion is rational or valid.
I have the right to walk away.
To ignore
To choose another form of entertainment.
This is for my own well being.
I don't have to and I shouldn't give audience to everyone who has a voice.

Sometimes it is better for me to ignore than to respond.


Question myself to see if a dialogue will create progress.


updated from
Apr 8, 2008

No comments: