12 November 2008

Prop 8 and the Black Church

The Bible and Slavery.

The Bible is a very tricky book. The Bible was used to justify slavery. BUT, at the same EXACT time, the Bible was used by the Black community to overcome. Black spirituality was key in helping blacks survive slavery. The Bible and The Church was used to overcome segregation.

People use the Bible in whatever way they can to help their OWN agenda.
Gay rights isn't a part of the Black community's agenda. It's just not. Why not? Many gay black people are in the closet and if they do come out they are shunned by most black church goers. And that's a lot of people to be shunned by. That's life.

I never really wanted to see it; but now I think many white people really do have a hard time understanding (or don't want understand) the black community.
For some odd reason, I wanted to give people the benefit of the doubt. To say that being black in America really isn't that hard to understand. That the black experience really wasn't all that different than the white experience; but from what I'm hearing... I was way off.

After thinking about it a while, I stand by my original idea. Being black in America isn't that hard to understand. I realized that there aren't too many people actually trying to understand it. Too many people coming to conclusions about the black community when they haven't bothered studying the history.


You can't be disappointed when you already know what's going to happen. I KNEW that black church goers were NOT/NEVER/NO Way going to vote to support gay rights. Not going to happen.
It was a no-brainer. ESPECIALLY, when the no on prop 8 activist blatantly excluded the black community from their campaign.... WTF did you expect to happen?

I'm hearing a lot of people who thought they were automatically going to get a majority of the black vote because of some shared sense of oppression... that's pretty f'in naive.
A community isn't going to go against the religious institution that has been their ROCK since their ancestors came to this country in chains.
If the Church brought the black community out of it's oppression; they aren't going to go against the church. ESPECIALLY, if the church is the main force that his bringing them throuh their current troubles.

"The disappointment many of us (white People) feel is that we were able to rise above our prejudices and vote for Obama, but many in the black community stuck by their prejudices against us"

I'm going to have to call bullshit on that one or Ask you to take a really deep look at that comment.

Did people REALLY overcome prejudices and vote for Obama? How many people who were prejudice against black people voted for Obama? Really?
OR did 66 million people really not care about Obama's race? Are you really saying that 43% of white voters overcame their prejudice to vote for Obama?
I really doubt that a great percentage of white voters went to the polls thinking, "I really don't trust/like black people; but I'm going to vote for Obama anyway." What I think really happened is that a majority of white's who voted for Obama really didn't care if he was black or not.
But, again, maybe I'm wrong. I could have too much faith in people in this instance.




No comments: