26 March 2010

Rights and equal, affordable access

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

This means the government cannot stop me from doing these things.

I don't think that equal access is the same thing as a right.
Just because I have the right to free speech does not mean that others have to give me an outlet.
Meaning, I can't go to the NY Times and demand that they publish my piece due to my freedom of speech.

but I do think there are some things that everyone should have equal access to in order for the society to prosper
It's up to the society to realize this and cooperate with each other rather than be coerced into providing things.

No comments: