27 May 2011

The movement

My cynicism has made me accept the idea that most people in a movement are only fighting injustices that affect them. If it involves someone different, they're not interested or they don't want to put in the effort. Worse is when they agree with the injustice against someone different.
Some begrudgingly realize they have to address an injustice against someone different in order to properly fight their own cause.
We're tricked into thinking when a person joins a movement they have moved beyond trying to eradicate their own suffering, when most of the time it's really about aligning with like-minded individuals to eradicate one's own suffering. Or to identify with those who have been through suffering that one has overcome.
I'd use animal rights activists as an exception but I've heard some of the things said.
It's why I especially admire people who stand up for others that are nothing like themselves or their family.

No comments: