10 November 2009

What's going on in the World Today?

I like definitions and I like to stick to the heart of a definition when I use words. I need to figure out the word for what's taking place in the world.

So excuse me; but, I need to do this to get something straight in my head.

Racism is The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

I know it exists but it's not the epidemic I'm seeing now

Discrimination is to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit.

There's a lot of that going on but not the heart of what I see

Prejudice is An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

Yeah, there are a lot of opinions that don't seem to have much knowledge to back them up (I'm talking about real knowledge and not just 'book learning'); but that's not what I'm looking for

A bigot is One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

This is really close to what I'm seeing but a bit off. It's not that certain people are intolerant of those who differ from them but they are indifferent to those who differ from them.

Though, tolerance is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own.

I really don't see a lot of tolerance going on in the world.

I don't really want to start calling people bigots because that word doesn't help to make change. People just get defensive and shut down; and the conversation comes to a halt. No learning, no growing.

I'd use the words inconsiderate or selfish; but those words are too broad. It seems that everyone is concerned about "topics that reflect the personal views by the majority of their community".

Anyway, what do you call it when a person only cares about the issues that affect them; and, to make matters worse, belittle people who speak out about issues that don't seem to affect them personally?

No comments: