28 March 2011

Them's the breaks

So if I decide to shop at Walmart instead of Fred Meyer because they have cheaper products, no problem.
If I decide to shop at Fred Meyer instead of Walmart because they have better quality products, no problem.
If I decide to shop at Fred Meyer instead of Walmart because they respect my right to do whatever I want with whomever, then there's a problem.
Doesn't make much sense.
Capitalism is about competition.
Competition in quality and price seems to be okay. But, competition based on principle somehow creates a problem.
When People protest a company because they donated to support prop 8, we hear cries of "you can't protest because people could lose their jobs".
If I make a choice based on price or quality, are people not in danger of losing their jobs? If I tell all my friends and colleagues to shop at the store I like, aren't people in danger of losing their jobs?

A company can lower their prices or sell higher quality products to gain costumers.
Heaven forbid a company decides to change their principles instead of just firing people to get back their costumers.

No comments: